Monday, September 26, 2011

For old time's sake

CSA, it's not you, it's me. It's just, moving and all, it's been a little crazy. You know. But I do miss you. Hey, you wanna get together for a drink sometime? For old time's sake. 

I couldn't help myself. When I saw the Groupon for a couple of CSA boxes, I bought in. Our first delivery arrived on our doorstep last week, neatly packaged, before our early bird Ben was up for the day. Every CSA has its merits, but I have to sing the praises of this particular one. First of all, delivery? Huzzah. And, you're free to review your shipment before it arrives. If for some reason you have a problem with a certain veggie, you can tell them to please never let you see that veggie's face. Ever. What an accommodating CSA.

We marveled at our bounty of organic goods. It had been a while since we were so flush with produce. I was suddenly feeling a bit panicked. How would we eat it all in time? If only I could have you all over for dinner.

We're working our way through it. Some vibrant spinach leaves went into a savory salad of toasted Israeli couscous, raisins, slivers of leek and roasted pecans the other night. The pears are sitting on the counter ripening, but soon they'll be poached and blended for Ben. He's had a few luscious bites of ripe nectarine and pluot—perhaps unfair for him that his first finger foods were so slippery, but he seemed to think they were worth the effort. Inspired by Ben, we found the green beans (barely blanched, tossed with a touch of butter, soy sauce and black pepper) and cold crispy radishes tasted even more delicious when we ditched our forks. It reminded me of a time when my sister and I stood around a huge pile of green beans in her kitchen, grabbing them off the plate with our hands, chatting the afternoon away.

No comments: